The History of Gillionville Plantation
Since the late 1920's, Gillionville has remained in one family longer then any other quail shooting plantation in Georgia and it remains one of the most respected plantations in South Georgia's fabled quail country. The rolling, wooded property has been groomed continuously to enhance its native quail population.
In the 1930s, Mr. Gordon's daughter, Loulie Gordon Thomson, commissioned renowned architect, Edward Vason Jones, to design and build a home amid stately oaks that had been planted in the 1850s by Governor Colquitt. The Gillionville Plantation lodge was the first and one of the finest architectural achievements of the late Mr. Jones, a specialist in 18th and 19th century southern architecture and architectural restoration. He is best known for his renovation work within the White House and at the US Department of State in Washington DC.
Today the lodge remains a personal residence of Walter "Hilly" Gordon Thompson of Boston, Massachusetts, the great grandson of Walter S. Gordon. Guests today receive the same gracious Southern hospitality that visitors have always received at Gillionville. Just as it was a century ago, quail shooting is done from horseback and mule drawn hunting wagons. Hunting parties enjoy the personal attention of scouts, wagon drivers and professional dog handlers who direct braces of well-trained bird dogs from Gillionville's kennels.
Members have exclusive use of the plantation during their stay and keep their same dates each year.